The 2023 COSSUP National Forum is hosted by the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) through its Comprehensive Opioid, Stimulant, and Substance Use Program (COSSUP).
- Location: Arlington, Virginia
- August 29 and 30, 2023 (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., ET)
- August 31, 2023 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 Noon, ET)
There is no cost to register but space is limited.
The first two registrants from each project will be accepted. Current grantees have priority registration until July 5, 2023. To add your voice to this national conversation, sign up today. During registration, you will be asked with which BJA grant or specific group you are associated. COSSUP site-based grantees, please have your award year, project title, and award number available when signing up.
Showcasing a By-the-Field/For-the-Field Sharing Opportunity
The 2023 COSSUP National Forum agenda is largely shaped by sessions received through a call-for-proposals process from colleagues and subject-matter experts currently leading the way in the battle against opioids, stimulants, and other illicit substances.
Plenary and break-out sessions will highlight:
- Maximizing resources through multidisciplinary partnerships, including law enforcement/first responder collaborations.
- Post-arrest interventions for individuals with substance use disorders including pre-trial diversion, jail-based medication-assisted treatment, and continuum of care services upon reentry.
- The unique value and role of peer recovery support services across the sequential intercept model.
- The use of specialized data tools and processes to address drug use including Overdose Fatality Reviews (OFRs), Prescription Drug Monitoring (PDMP), and the Overdose Detection Mapping Application Program (ODMAP).
- Treatment best practices and spotlight programs, including BJA’s Residential Substance Abuse Treatment for State Prisoners Program.
- Projects and strategies to support specific communities, including Indian Country, rural America, and families and children—the youngest victims of the crisis.
- Safeguarding the health and well-being of colleagues on the front lines of the epidemic.
Registration is now open for COSSUP grantee administrators. There is a limit of two participants per grant. If you would like others to attend, they will be placed on a waitlist. If space is available closer to the event, individuals on the waitlist will be confirmed to attend the event on a first-come, first-served basis.
Grantee Participation Guidelines
- This event is a mandatory part of your BJA COSSUP award. Two representatives from your site should attend, including your project director.
- If applicable, please send your researcher as one of the two attending.
- If your plan does not include a researcher, other attendee options include participation by a peer recovery specialist (again, if applicable), leadership from another stakeholder group (for example, balancing public health and public safety representation), or participation by a community advocate or project champion.
- If you would like to send more than two representatives, evaluate your current budget to determine whether BJA approval is necessary for a budget modification. Additional representatives will be waitlisted since space is limited, and they will be notified if openings are available. (In making budget modification determinations, please follow the 10 percent rule; specifically, you cannot shift more than 10 percent of your total approved budget from one budget category to another [e.g., personnel to travel, travel to consultants] without permission). Please consult your Programs Office grant manager if you have related questions or if you would like to request approval to send additional attendees.
- You must have received financial clearance on your grant to attend. If you are unsure about your current status, please contact your Programs Office grant manager.
- As a friendly reminder, when the time comes to make travel arrangements, ensure that you follow your organization’s established travel policies and procedures. Also, please see the DOJ Grants Financial Guide for additional federal guidance.
Please note: These guidelines are for Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 through FY2022 COSSUP site-based grantees. All other attendees should consult with the funding guidelines specific to their projects. If you have questions, please contact COSSUP@iir.com.
Full details about the event can be found in the 2023 COSSUP National Forum section of the Resource Center at https://www.cossapresources.org/Learning/COSSUPNationalForum2023.
You may register at https://events.iir.com/en/1UGekl6/g/hFh7aZ5fr5/2023-comprehensive-opioid-stimulant-and-substance-use-program-national-forum-4a33JwS42H/overview.